Friday, March 2, 2012

Last Minute Bridezilla

It's been so long since I've been able to post...or even thought about it for that matter!

Everything is coming together(for all the smug people that chanted this mantra to me as I poured my heart out planning this wedding). My mom hired a reception coordinator. It has been the best thing. I thought I would spend (most likely my last) post giving advice to others.

Things I Have Learned the Hard Way (also a few things I did correctly):

  • Call your closest friends and family to announce your engagement. Don't do it on Facebook. That's for acquaintances and old science lab partners from college you haven't un-friended yet.
  • Don't get frustrated when people ask you when the date is. They are asking because they are interested and because they care.
  • Pick a date and stick with it. Nothing confuses everyone else like a flip-floppy couple. It will save you time and money.
  • If you pick a date between September and March, your reception venues will most likely be cheaper. Wedding Season is considered between the months of April and August. People usually hike up their prices due to the demand.
  • People pass out at outdoor weddings. Don't get married outdoors unless it's below 85 degrees. You don't want to be sweating on your big day either, don't make your guests sweat.
  • Flowers cost A LOT! 
  • Set up a budget and follow it. 
  • Ask for help. If you do it yourself, you are probably going to have a horrible wedding. And probably a stress ulcer.
  • Take engagement pictures early. Use them for Save the Dates and Reception Decor. Take the engagement pics outside - best light possible. It's a pain but change outfits. You will want to have several options to chose from. I know a couple of great photographers if you need someone.
  • Don't spend a lot of money on Save the Dates. I bought photo cards off walmart.com. See previous post for details.
  • I got a ton of compliments on my real invitations. My mom found them on an Indian wedding website. I totally recommend this. Allow a little extra time for shipping though. They ended up being $2 per invite. If anyone saw them and knows anything about wedding invitations, you know this is a steal.
  • Keep a spreadsheet of Save the Dates and Wedding Invites. It's annoys your friends when you have to ask them for their address every other month.
  • Don't send out empty envelopes. Make sure your fiance stuffed his stack of envelopes.
  • Some people are rude and don't RSVP. I included a response card, addressed envelope, AND a stamp. And I STILL am chasing down people who have not RSVPed 8 days before my wedding. It's so annoying. If you're one of those people - don't do that to the next wedding you're going to. It stresses the bride, her coordinator, mother, and reception coordinators. 
  • Have someone write down who gives you what at your bridal showers. Keep them in a spiral or notebook. You will forget.
  • Write thank you notes. I went to 6 weddings in one year and only got 3 thank you notes. If people are traveling, buying you presents, and giving up their weekend to see you get married, you owe it to them to write them a three sentence card.
  • Send out your thank you notes after your showers. I set a goal of writing 10 thank you notes a day. Although I should have set this goal earlier, I have gotten 2/3 of thank you notes accomplished.
  • Only register for things you want. 
  • People buy you ugly things that you did not want.
  • You can regift them later. Write a thank you note anyway.
  • Don't pick an expensive bridesmaid dress if you're not paying for it. 
  • Ask around for recommendations when booking florists, DJs, make up artists, etc. Reception venue coordinators know TONS of people in the business if you are getting married somewhere not your hometown.
  • Take some pre-marital counseling. You will learn so much. It is so useful and it is way more important than anything else you are planning. Plan for your actual marriage.
  • Don't pour a lot of money into party favors. Most of the time koozies with your date on them will get left behind. If you want to do favors, do a candy bar. People actually use it.
  • Takeout boxes and candy bars are difficult. Most of the boxes are either too small or too big. Also the boxes take up a lot of space and are difficult to pull apart. Go for some cute bags in your colors.
  • Have something for your guests to do. Let them dance, get their picture taken in a photo booth, eat, and drink. It is a party.
  • Plan your first dance, father daughter dance, and mother son dance EARLY. If you wait to the last second like I did, it won't get done.
  • Enjoy the attention. Even if people start asking questions that are none of their business ("When's the baby?") at least they're interested in your life. (For the record I usually retort "In 5 years.")
Hope that helped someone!

1 comment: