Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bridesmaids!



I asked three of my best friends to be my bridesmaids! Brady and I wanted to have a small wedding party. It gets really confusing (and pricey) trying to have a large bridal party. I am still planning on asking a lot of other people to be part of our day, but the three girls that will stand up with me at the alter have been chosen.

That being said, none of them have been a bridesmaid before. Although I had been a bridesmaid once (in the 5th grade for my cousin's wedding), I did not know exactly what it entails either. I looked it up on the knot.com - the website that is becoming more addicting that facebook for me, and there was this helpful article of bridesmaid etiquette. 

The bridesmaid is an integral part of any wedding, on hand to comfort, console, multitask, and party hearty at all bridal events. Whether it's your first bridesmaid gig or your 50th, here's a cheat sheet of your to-dos.
  • Offer to help with prewedding tasks. Try to be specific when you volunteer. For example, say, "Would you like me to help you shop for bridesmaid dresses/stuff invitations/pack for the honeymoon?" instead of just, "What can I do?"
  • Scout out bridesmaid dresses, shoes, jewelry, and other wedding accessories. Pay for the entire ensemble. (Break in your shoes before the wedding day -- that will minimize slipping, blisters, and aching tootsies.)
  • Help to plan, cohost, and pay for the bridal shower and bachelorette party with other bridesmaids.
  • If the maid/matron of honor isn't already handling this task, keep a record of all the gifts received at various parties and bridal showers (so that the bride/couple can write thank-you notes); maintain RSVP lists.
  • Attend the ceremony rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. (Keep abreast of all prewedding parties, and go to as many as possible.)
  • Run last-minute errands. On the day of the wedding, be on hand to confirm flower delivery times, meet and greet the ceremony officiant, or satisfy junk food cravings.
  • Stand in the receiving line at the bride's request.
  • Serve as auxiliary hostess at the reception by introducing guests, making sure they know where the bar is located, and inviting them to sign the guest book.
  • Hit the dance floor when the music kicks in. Dance with groomsmen during the formal first-dance sequence. Also, be on the lookout for toe-tapping guests who might need encouragement and/or a dance partner.
  • Give the matron/maid of honor a break by helping to carry the bride's wedding gown train whenever necessary. Bustle the train before dancing begins, and be ready to help fix it if it comes unhooked. Accompany the bride on visits to the restroom, if asked.
  • Purchase a wedding present perhaps with one or several of the other bridesmaids. This provides more buying power, and two heads are better than one when it comes to wedding gift ideas. Sometimes the entire bridesmaid troupe pitches in for one knock-her-socks-off wedding gift.
  • Be a trooper, no matter how stressful the ordeal becomes. Try not to complain about the bridesmaid dress -- even if the color is horrendous. Be gracious and tactful.
  • Provide plenty of emotional support during the planning and on the wedding day.


Read more: Bridesmaids: Bridesmaid Duties in Detail - Bridesmaids Mother of the Bride - Bridesmaids - TheKnot.com http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/bridesmaids/articles/bridesmaids-duties-in-detail.aspx#ixzz1HpHpKPh0



Now for the big question - dresses. What will they wear? It's difficult to say since my gown hasn't been picked yet (although I have narrowed down my style!), but I have picked out three different styles of dresses that I really love. this first one is a classy v-neck choice. I love the shade of deep blue, the color of the peacock's body.


Here is choice number two. A nice sweetheart neckline, strapless dress in teal. I like how it gathers at the side, creating a strong waistline.
And choice number three. It's kind of a marriage of dresses one and two. It has the v-neck with straps, but a more defined waist. I have been really gravitating toward flower details lately. 

I am not planning on making any decisions until 1) my dress is picked out and 2) I see the dresses on at least 2 of my bridesmaids.


And I'm trying to keep the cost down on these dresses, btw. It's hard finding pretty dresses that aren't ugly and that don't cost an arm and a leg!

3 comments:

  1. Great! This is helpful! I think I'll end up looking up what YOU need to do, so I can figure out where exactly I can help out.

    So glad you're looking at that deep blue for the bridesmaid dresses. Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly support your choices for dress color! And I think dress #2 is super cute! The waistline would help hide my post-wedding feast food babeh. :)

    -Cara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also voting for #2 because, let's face it, none of us have big enough boobs for the 3rd one.
    *Krista

    ReplyDelete